Thursday, August 14, 2008

A heart like His

I have recently started rereading a book I read a while back by Max Lucado. I know now more than ever that sometimes God intends for you to read things that maybe you have already read because the timing is right and there are things to be learned. I do this alot with scripture. I think just because I have read the scripture my whole life I cant get something out of it, and God shows me everytime that this is not the case because it seems I always hear what I need to at that time. I guess that just shows how good God is and how much He loves his children. Anyway, as I was reading this book the first pages seemed to move me. I began thinking of times when I had royally screwed up or done soemthing that I was not proud of. I also thought about my moments of "greatness", and times that I had never felt closer to God. I have always heard the saying that, " God loves you no matter what." Now, this is true I believe Christ loves his children, but in the book Max gave an illustration that I found absolutely relevant. He said when his daughter was younger she was playing at the park and saw the icecream man coming around the corner and said, "Daddy, I want one." He, of course, went and got her some icecream and when he turned around she had dirt in her mouth. Where he had intended to put something sweet and delicious, she chose to put dirt. If only she knew how good the icecream was going to taste. But, did her dad love her even when she had dirt in her mouth? yes! Would he have rather her enjoy the desert he got her? yes! What a picture this gave me of christ's heart and his love for his children. Something I am choosing to remember as a reread this book is ," God loves me just the way I am, but He refuses to leave me that way. He wants me to be just like Jesus." I cannot wait to see what else God has in store as I reread this book! It's kinda neat how God saw a need in my life, and saw questions I needed answers to and He gave me words of one of his children and scripture and has been faithful to show me who He has called me to be. I pray that I can continue to grow and that when Noah and all my kids look at their mommy they don't just see their mom, but a mommy who loves God and who makes it her mission to incorporate Christ in everything we do. I am already praying my kids will not be content with securing their place in heaven, but that they will "daily pick up their cross and follow Him." God, I pray that my children would know you and live according to you word. I pray that I will have a heart like yours. Thank you for loving me even when I choose to put dirt in my mouth.

2 comments:

mari said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm glad we keep around all those old books just in case we decide to reread them!

Unknown said...

You make me proud. Thank you for loving my son and my grandson.